Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Carrier Oils...What are They?

Training Tuesday/ Carrier Oils

Today I am sharing my research and experimentation on carrier Oils.  Most recipes and blends that you might want to try with your essential oils always include a certain amount of carrier oils.  These are oils used to dilute the powerful essential oil and "carry" it into the skin where the essential oil can work its therapeutic properties for healing and various reasons.

Grape seed oil used as carrier oil in a recipe

When essential oils are used without a carrier oil, they can cause rashes, burning and other adverse effects.  Carrier oils dilute the essential oils until they can be applied directly to the skin without causing reactions.  

Carrier oils come in a variety of colors, thickness, price range and effectiveness.  You can choose whichever carrier oil you feel works best with your skin, budget and essential oils.

Choosing A Carrier Oil
When I first began using essential oils, about the only other oil that was readily available at my grocery store was olive oil.  I used that for years, but didn't like the absorbability, odor or color of the olive oil.  Other oils have become more affordable and frequented store shelves more often.  I experimented with all sorts of carrier oils and found the ones that work best for me, my skin and my budget.

It's best to use carrier oils that are cold pressed, have very little odor and are not blended.  Some of my favorite carrier oils are listed below:
  • Apricot Kernel Oil
  • Avocado Oil
  • Calendula Oil
  • Evening Primrose Oil
  • Grape Seed Oil
  • Jojoba Oil
  • Olive Oil
  • Rose Hip Oil
  • Sesame Oil
  • Sunflower Oil
  • Sweet Almond Oil
  • Vitamin E Oil


Which Oil Is Best?
I have used all of the above mentioned oils at various times for different reasons.  Just because an oil works well with me doesn't mean you will get the same results. Try them out.  Smell them.  Feel them to find which ones work best for you.  I really like to add vitamin E oil or evening primrose oil to all of my recipes as they act as a preservative and will keep my blends from going rancid.  They are also great for the skin.
I like to use both apricot kernel oil and/or avocado oil for my facial recipes as they are light, non-greasy and work well with wrinkles.
I use sesame oils and sometimes olive oil as a very thick massage oil.  They do the trick of spreading my essential oils over the body and letting my massage sessions linger.  These are also a favorite of mine for chest rubs that include decongestant essential oils.
My personal favorite carrier oil is grape seed oil.  It is colorless, odorless and thin enough to be absorbed readily without leaving an oily, greasy feeling on the skin.  Grape seed oil is affordable for me and I use it quite often in most of my healing recipes.

Storage and Shelf Life of Carrier Oils
Before buying a carrier oil, you will want to check with each type to see how long the shelf life is.  Coconut oil, for example, may have a much shorter shelf life than olive oil.  In this case, you would want to buy small quantities of the coconut oil, and larger quantities of the olive oil.  Store your carrier oils and essential oils in a dark area, that is not lit by the sun.  Keep the oils away from heated areas and make sure that the container lids are on well, tight, or taped.


Essential oils capped, taped, and ready for a dark cabinet

Caring properly for your essential oils and carrier oils will bring you a lifetime of benefit.  As always, keep all your oils out of the reach of children and pets.  Store everything in a safe, dark area, away from extreme temperature changes.  Experiment with your oils, and enjoy!

Earth's Healing Boxes
Each month Earth's Healing will introduce 3 new essential oils, one blended container of an essential oil remedy, recipe cards for the month's essential oils, educational materials, free gifts and various items related to aromatherapy.  This subscription box is available through our website:

www.earthshealingboxes.com
info@earthshealingboxes.com
https://www.facebook.com/earthshealingboxes?ref=bookmarks

much healing to you,
Earth's Healing Staff

No comments:

Post a Comment