Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday...Funday!

I am having a lot of fun today with my herbs.  Actually, I have been having fun all weekend.  The first thing I did was to make a homemade "Solar Powered Beeswax Filterer".  It looks like it is going to work out great.  I can't wait till the end of the day to look at the results.
I have chosen my herb of the day (maybe WEEK in this case) and it is Garlic.  We have been doing the mowing, weedeating and other landscaping activities in our yard and have mown around a LOT of garlic.  My husband's grandmother planted it here at the old homestead many, many years ago and we just inherited it.
Garlic has been widely known for centuries as an antiseptic, lowers blood pressure, and good for all respiratory ailments.  Garlic is used in cooking for its sweet, spicy, oniony flavor.  These flowers first appear inside thin paper, pointed coverings.  My daughters used to refer to them as "hats" when they were younger.  The garlic is actually under the ground and we dig it up in the summer.  We leave plenty of garlic in the ground so it can spread and give us more garlic the next year. 


Yesterday I made a tincture out of St. John's Wort, Chamomile and Valerian.  I had some of the herbs leftover so I made some tea and I had a cupful last night and slept like a BABY....it was great.  It tasted good too.  I really didn't expect it to taste that good due to the bitter taste of Chamomile, but it did.  Then this morning I woke up so energetic and have been running every since.

I plan on repackaging my dried herbs today to put them in glass containers outside of the light.  I am really getting a lot of dried herbs now and want to be sure to store them safely.  I love my herbs.  I hope you love your herbs too.  Today I am also going to research and make a linimint for my achey wrist.  I'll let you know how it turns out.
It's Thyme to cook lunch,
vannoy

No comments:

Post a Comment